Friday, August 13, 2010

First!

I've decided to set up a simple blog to record my experiences as a beginner cyclist.

The backstory is this: I've never been big on cycling, even though I've enjoyed it occasionally. My main issues have been that it gives me a sore neck, wrists and crotch. Also, I was never really confident about riding in traffic.

Enter the Yellow Velo.





This is a bright yellow recumbent trike that I have commandeered from my husband and which I am now rather passionate about. The commandeering has occurred by way of eBay and a 570km tour organised by Cycle Queensland.

In early July, Luke announced that he wanted to go on the Cycle Queensland tour from Yeppoon to Bundaberg on September 4. Great, I said, you go for it. I'll stay here.

And then I started to think about it. And started to wonder that maybe I was going to be missing out on some fun.

Nah, I thought. These people will be cycling an average of 70km a day. That's not fun, that's masochism. I'll just offer him my support and stay at home and be comfortable.

And then I thought: maybe I could go on our electric chopper bikes. That would be a challenge, trying to get the batteries to last for 70km. And maybe I could film it and make a mini documentary. The idea made my heart beat a little faster. There was potential there, possibilities. But the next day it all seemed a bit much.

And then Luke, via eBay, found himself the owner of a 2 wheeled recumbent bike. Which meant that his pre-ordered recumbent trike needed a rider. Suddenly, it all became possible.

The first few rides of the 2 wheeler were ridiculous but addictive. It had been a while since I'd had to learn a new physical skill and this was, well, like learning to ride a bike all over again. We practiced on the school oval and fell off numerous times... but there was something about it that felt exhilarating.

And then the trike arrived in the mail. Luke took it for a spin up the street and then I had a go. It was like the most amazing billy cart ever; I felt like a kid again, grinning like an idiot as I hurtled down the hill. The seat was comfortable, the view was great and my arms and crotch didn't hurt. Perfect.

Of course, the muscles required for recumbent riding weren't exactly prepared for it. It's been a hard couple of weeks, training in preparation for the big ride. We've progressed from 6km to 10km to 18km and near prostrate exhaustion. But then the distances have increased along with our fitness.

I'm starting this blog in week 3 of training. There's less than 4 weeks until the start of Cycle Queensland 2010.

It's going to be a huge challenge but I'm really looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment